Every day, the HandUp team reads the latest on challenges, innovation, and research around homelessness and poverty. We gathered them all in one place to stay up to date on the most important news in poverty from August.
- A new study in Boston shows that homelessness can sometimes increase with economic prosperity, meaning poverty doesn't always drive homelessness rates
- Today's current economic disparity, without changing our strategy, could become a future catastrophe
- The US Department of Education released new guidelines in time for the school year around better supporting students experiencing homelessness
- Tradecraft profiles 30 different social impact startups you should know - we're honored to be included!
- A new UC Berkeley study makes the case for accessory dwelling units (ADUs - or small living spaces behind homes) that could be a huge impact on ending homelessness
- 7 myths about welfare - including that there actually is no program in the US called 'welfare'
- To give or not to give: local author Shane Downing explores ways to give to homeless neighbors in San Francisco - what works and what doesn't work.